December 8-10, 2005, Helsinki, Finland
European Conference on Chronic Disease Prevention
Learning from the past - planning for the future
|Preferred form of presentation*:|
|Main theme: (pick one from the list above)*:||Integration and Partnership|
|Specific topic (pick one from the list above)*:||Diet and physical activity, New NCD strategy|
CV Simovska Vera/biografy
National Public Health Organization for the promotion of
Health-Enhancing Physical Activity HEPA Macedonia
Title: National Public Health Organization for the promotion of Health-Enhancing Physical Activity HEPA Macedonia
Adress: Kozara 68/II, 1000 Skopje, Macedonia
Phone: +389 2 323 9698; +389 2 322 5402
Web site: www.nosmoking.cjb.net, www.mango.org.mk
Status of the organization: National Public Health (NGO, not for profit),
Member of the WHO HEPA Europe and collaborating partner of Public Health Institute for Sports Medicine in Macedonia
Contact person: Vera Simovska, MD., PhD, President
National Public Health Organization for the Promotion of Health - Enhancing Physical Activity HEPA Macedonia is established on 11 October 2005.
The aim was to develop the steps to implement national policy, startegy and programme on the key health determinant, physical activity in accordance to the new EU Health Strategy (2007-2016).
In February 2006 HEPA Macedonia was accepted as “temporary” member by the Steering Committee of the WHO HEPA EUROPE until confirmation by the network at 2nd Annual meeting on 14 June in Tampere, Finland (www.euro.who.int/hepa). Also it,s is a member of the World “Move for Health” network as well as member of Research project and network of European Union for “Action and Physical Activity on Aging”- EUNAAPA (www.eunaapa.org).
There is a need for quick action to implement this strategy associated with the implementation of the WHO Resolution WHA 57.16 on ”Health Promotion and Healthy Lifestyle” and WHA 57.17 on “Global Srategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health” as well as with the A/RES/58/5 on “Sport as a means to promote Education, Health, Development and Peace”.
The vision and main goals
People in Macedonia should enjoy to achieve better health through increasing physical activity. To strengthen and support efforts and actions that increase participation and improve the conditions favourable to a healthy lifestyle, in particular with respect to health - enhancing physical activity (HEPA). To initiate national approache and network for physical activity promotion, inter-ministerial and -sectoral approache and a general framework for physical activity promotion policy.
1. To promote health through PA using population-based approach.
2. To support the formulation of National strategy and programme for the promotion of health-
enhancing physical activity - ”HEPA Programme”:
- the main objective is to reduce major chronic disease morbidity/mortality
- the intermediate objectives are to reduce the population levels of biological risk factors for
chronic disease by introduction changes in the lifestyle: increased PA, balanced nutrition
and smoking cessation.
3. To formulate organizational structure and establishement a national network.
4. To strengthen cooperation, partnership and collaboration with other relevant programmes,
sectors, NGOs e.t.c in promotion of HEPA.
5. In addition to provide the background for the identification and development of an overiew
of relevant HEPA Action Plan for implementation of HEPA programme in Macedonia
6. To prepare annual work programme for the main planned activities and events
7. To establish specific outcomes, monitoring and evaluation, and deliverables
for HEPA Europe.
Start of health promotion through physical activity within the National programme for chronic disease prevention – CINDI in Macedonia (2001-2005)
September 2001- National PA startegy is initiated as part of CINDI conceptual model:
- the health promotion and NCD prevention dimensions of the PA strategy.
2001-2002 Formulation of Action Plan for development and implementation of Programme for the promotion of physical activity within the contex of the first CINDI Draft-Plan of Action in Macedonia, 2002-2007. Action Plan is based on:
- the best scientific evidence on health, social and economic benefit of PA
- intersectoral and multidisciplinary
2001 - Planning CINDI coordinative centre in Skopje with an information base and organization structure for implementation of the CINDI programme.
2001 - Realised “pylot“ CINDI Health Monitor survey on demonstration level;
- Planning a national register for NCD risk factors focused on PA
2001 - Planning seminar/lecture in Skopje:
Modern aspects of NCD primary prevention: programmed PA and dietary interventions
2002 - Initiation of preventive interventions and national quidelines for reduction of lifestyle risk
factors: decreased physical activity and unbalanced nutrition.
2003 -“Move for Health 2003 Initiative Around the World”
The first step was made in collaboration with the WHO Department for NCD
prevention and health promotion (Puska P, WHO/HQ, Geneva 2003).
2003 - Establishing a national coordination with Executiv Counsil Move for Health within
Macedonian CINDI Programme.
The website was developed “Macedonia on the Move”
2004 - Mass media campaign “Move for Health-Active Youth”.
The Macedonian “Move for Health” Declaration was adopted.
Ongoing activities on national level, 2005-2006
2005 - Establishing a National Public Health Organization HEPA MACEDONIA
2006 - Member of the” WHO HEPA Europe” and “ World Move for Health”
2006 - WHO “Quit & Win” Programme for smoking cessation with title: “Tobacco-Free Sport and Physical Activity” - http://www.nosmoking.cjb.net (http://www.quitandwin.org).
2006 – Member of the European network and research project for “Action and Physical Activity on Aging” – EUNAAPA (www.eunaapa.org)
Main activities of HEPA Macedonia National Public Health Organization for
the promotion of Health-Enhancing Physical Activity
• Effects of applied programmed PA at children, youth and adult population
• Efficacy of PA on reduction on diet-related risk factors for chronic diseases
• Researches in area of public health
- health promotion through PA and healthier nutrition
- monitoring and evaluation of outcomes
Health promotion in general:
• Healthy lifestyle
• Skills for health
Promotion of physical/sports activity:
• On population and individual levels
• On national, regional and local level in Macedonia
- Continuing doctoral education (CME) accredited by Faculty of Medicine, Macedonian
Medical Association and Doctor Chamber of the Republic of Macedonia.
Participants: 230 physicians from different branche of medicine.
- Traening seminars, workshops and courses.
- Mass-media campaigns: “Move for Health” and “Quit & Win”
- Policy and strategy documents – Initiation for PA Strategy/Programme
- Statute for transformation of Sports medicine institutions countrywide
- Strategy for Sport-decentralization of sport in Macedonia
- Legislation (Low for Sport)
- Recommendations and guidelines
Continuing doctoral education (CME) - 2006
Workshop: “New way of presenting of the recommendations for physical activity and their application in the preventive-therapeutic programmes focused on obesity”.
Simovska V. HEPA Macedonia. Public Health Institute of Sports Medicine.
Skopje, 31 May 2006 - www.lkm.org.mk.
Professional-scientific meeting: “Non-pharmacological combined therapeutic treatment
at obese population”. Simovska V. HEPA Macedonia.
Faculty of Medicine, Clinic for pediatric disorders, Skopje, 21 April 2006.
The First Annual HEPA Macedonian Conference, Public Health Institute of Sports
Medicine, Skopje, 26 December 2006.
T o p i c s:
- Vision and goals of HEPA Macedonia-National Public Health Organization for the Promotion
of Health-Enhancing Physical Activity. Simovska V., HEPA Macedonia.
- Dietotherapy in individuals with overweight and obesity - startegies in treatment
of obesity. Simovska V, Public Health Institute for Sports Medicine, Skopje.
- Anthropometric,s characterisitics in patients with M. Cushing.
Stratovska-Subevska S., MD., PhD., Faculty of Medicine. Clinic of Endocrinology, Skopje
- Annual Report of HEPA Macedonia 2006
- Annual HEPA Macedonian Work Programme 2007: Developing National HEPA Programme.
Skopje, 1 June 2007 Prim dr Vera Simovska, MD., PhD.
President of National Public Health Organization
for the promotion of Health-Enhancing Physical Activity
CV Simovska Vera/biografy